Ozzie Rock

Arriving into Christchurch was a breeze passing through passport and customs with ease. The bike was questioned but passed through without being opened.

We waited for around an hour for our InterCity bus, to be greeted by grumblebum Gary the driver who was none too impressed about the bike and carried on like a pork chop for some 5 minutes, before pocketing $10. I just closed my eyes to endure his tirade as I really was not in the mood…I have learned from travel experience with bikes to shut up, let the rant conclude as normally it will then resolve, as it did in this case.

Other passengers were not so fortunate as Gary ranted and raved with many… he became entertainment. “Is this bus going to Queenstown?” one unsuspecting tourist asked. Gary’s response? “ why would I bother putting a sign up the front saying Queenstown if I was not going there?”   I quietly chuckled to myself….

The first part of the journey was very Tasmanian in its topography, until we hit the Alps.

Sitting up the front ensures a great view

We stopped at Lake Tekapo for a driver swap.. leaving Gary and collecting Peter… his twin brother it seemed.

Lake Tekapo

Once in Twizel we collected our bikes and settled into our accomodation ready for the first day riding.

We boarded the Mt Cook shuttle to transfer to the White Horse Hill campground, 2 km past the Mt Cook village and the furtherest inward point for vehicles. The views on the shuttle were extraordinary and I could not understand how the tourist next to me could sleep through it! I felt like nudging him to wake up!

View from the lookout on the way into Mt Cook village

Once we arrived at the campground we were at the official start of the A20 Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail described as “ This is New Zealand, in all its colour and beauty – from the highest mountain, past Great Lakes and rivers, down to the ocean.”

Official trail starting point

The first section we were on a time limit as we needed to get to the Mt Cook airport for a helicopter transfer across the Tasman River to Tasman Point. The track was very nicely formed here and boded well for the rest of the day.. I hoped.

Looking back towards Mt Cook village
Well formed track

We arrived at the airport with plenty of time to spare and I sat amazed at the number of choppers taking off and landing. I got thinking….. hmm…. and grabbed a brochure showing the flights available over Mt Cook to the Tasman Glacier…asked a few questions and before you know it, pulled my plastic card out and booked the 45 minute chopper flight, delaying our chopper crossing to Tasman Point.

First things first, our bikes were to be transferred to Tasman Point. NZ air regulations are such that they need to transfer without passengers.

Snatch strap cable has been attached to the bottom of the chopper
Lift off with our bikes
Off they head to Tasman Point

The chopper then came back to collect us, as well as Stan from Idaho, USA who was touring on his own laden up quite heavily with gear. Stan was dropped off and we then headed off on our tour.

Stan waving us off

Well I was quite pleased as I got to sit next to the pilot, whose name was Tony.


We headed up the Tasman Valley towards the Tasman Glacier, some 27 km long. The glacier is moving at the rate of 30cm per day. It is around 300 metres thick. With global warming the rate of melting has increased considerably exposing more and more rock. A lake has formed at the base that has only existed for 30 years.

Tasman River
Tasman Glacier
Tasman Glacier

We landed on the glacier and spend about 15 minutes there.

Nice chopper with Tony the pilot and moi
Goodness only knows what I am regaling to the pilot!
This plane landed whilst we were on the glacier

Lifting off from the glacier we headed to Mt Cook passing the climbers hut and the commonly used climbing route. Tony told us that sadly he has been involved in the retrieval of around a dozen climbers bodies. Others go missing to pop up years later in glacial melting.

Mt Cook close up 3754 m

Landing at Tasman Point the real work started collecting our bikes and heading off. The trail was still ok but not as well formed as earlier.


This was a bit bumpier


Salbutamol reigns!


One of numerous glacially fed rivers

For the majority of the rest of the day we followed the shoreline of Lake Tekapo. The views were simply spectacular. Photo opportunities galore. Stinking hot (up to 31degrees). Water for drinking was extremely low and we needed to do what I prefer not to, taking water from streams and the lake.

We met up with Stan again en route. He had previously broken a spoke nipple, and he removed the spoke and nipple from his wheel. He was quite concerned about breaking more spokes with one missing. We offered to call into our bike hire shop to see if they had spare nipples. So we swapped contact details.

Tony and Stan



We came across a sign indicating Ozzie Rock with a picture of a kiwi. It would seem somewhat unpatriotic not to stop for another photo. This is when I realised I had a problem. The spare mobile phone I had for the rest of the trip was missing… oh dear… retracking in my mind when I last used it we determined that it probably came out of my bag (which I had failed to zip up properly) when I lay the bike on its side to clamber down a creek bank for water… and that was some 8-10 km back up the road!

So discussion ensued… I was in favour of going back to look, Tony wanted to keep  moving forward. I was adamant for a few reasons. It was to be my only comms for the Auckland to Wellington trip and had spent $55 putting a data plan on it the day before. We turned back!

Fortunately we found it in the middle of the road only 2 km back. 2 cars had passed us missing driving over the phone! Hallelujah!!

So back to Ozzie Rock! If it had not been for this sign I would not have realised the phone was missing for a lot longer! Saved my bacon!!


Ozzie Rock aptly named!

Departing Ozzie Rock we continued following the lake with beautiful vistas.

I really like this photo


We passed the Tekapo power station and headed out towards the salmon shop hoping they sold drinks! We were not disappointed and icypole and cold drinks were greatly appreciated.

Hot, sweaty and rehydrating next to a tahr statue

From the salmon shop it was a short ride back into Twizel. We were able to grab some spoke nipples for Stan, and the good news is they fitted and he can be on his way again with more confidence.


So Christmas Day is very quiet and tomorrow we ride to Lake Ohau.

Love this photo





2 thoughts on “Ozzie Rock

  1. cherieineurope2016

    So happy to be armchair travelling with you again. Congrats on finding the lost phone. Looking fwd to next instalment. Cheers Cherie

    Sent from my iPad



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s